Sunday, August 24, 2008

Beer / Hockey Ratio


While Balance, Agility, Strength, and Speed all play a vital role in playing hockey, the most important factor for your conditioning is your Beer / Hockey Ratio.

During the winter season I usually play twice a week and quaff 3 or 4 beers after each game. Along with the occasional trip to the gym, I still manage to stay in (relatively) decent shape.

Over the summer I play less than once a week and sometimes go 2 or 3 weeks without stepping on the ice. Unfortunately, with all the barbecues and outdoor summer fun in our all-too-short Canadian summers, my beer consumption INCREASES. More Beer and less Hockey results in packing on too many unwanted (and unattractive) extra pounds. My Beer /Hockey Ratio is way out of whack.

Carrying this extra weight around definitely isn't helping my game any, so If I'm going to have any chance of loosing my newly found fat, it looks like I'm going to have to stay on the stair climber a little longer, bike a little farther, and cut back on the brewskies.

Once I'm back into shape, then I can work on my intense bursts of speed, Herculean strength, explosive power, and fierce acceleration. Wish me luck!

No comments: